Maximum Datarate | JPEG_Encoder_Gray

• Hi there,

I am currently thinking about a recording application for a CXP grabber which converts the input image directly into JPEG.

Using a CXP-Grabber datarates will be quite high so I thing the throughput will be challenging. According to the documentation I should be able to achieve approx. 300 MB / s on a Marathon VCX-QP using one JPEG-Encoder_Gray operator.

My idea would be to split the data stream and use a second or third operator to maximize this boundary to 600 or 900 MB / s. Please see a first draft attached (untested of course =) ). Is there a better option and what do you think would be the maximum possible badwidth?

I just noticed that the better way probably would be to split the image stream after the ImageBuffer_JPEG_Gray and not before. This would probably safe me a bunch of resources.

However, what do you think? :)

best regards,

Theo

• Hi Theo,

we have a pretty elegant solution using restart markers within the JPEG stream to separate it to multiple operators. We can get up to 6 JPEG encoders in a design which results in a datarate of 6 * 300MB/s = 1800 MB/s on a mE5-MA-VCX-QP.

The design is quite tricky but I am sure you'll understand. We'll send you a VA design and SDK example. Please give us some days to finish it.

Johannes

Johannes Trein
    Group Leader R&D
    frame grabber

Basler AG

• Hi Theo,

I have add you a pre-Version of the example for multi Encoder usage in VA. Currently there is a VA-File for

1. CL Full Gray with 4 encoders

2. CL Full Bayer with 6 encoders

3. CXP Gray using 4 encoders

I still didn't finish the CXP Color with 6 encoders(the design didn't fit) I still hope I can find a solution to get it squized in somehow. Anyway, in the Example.zip you will find the VA Files and the modified JpegCreator.h/C++ project.

I was limited with the upload for the jpeg-lib. You will need that one as well(it is included in the old example).

I hope that will help you get a starting point.

this is the Example:Example.zip

PS: I will add the docu and missing parts as soon as I find a way to get it small enough ;)

best regards,

Björn